Saturday, July 05, 2014

#Cows #Livestock #Homesteading

In our talk about GMOs, I referenced cows. Cows are not easy animals to raise yourself. It's not because they are difficult or need a lot of attention. It's because they require a lot of space.

They also act like dogs if you're around them enough, and with them being like that, I'd never have the heart to raise and send to the butcher. I'd have them named and they'd all be following me around the yard.

However, with my downsize to less land, I'd never have room for even one anyway.

For most families, one cow a year in the freezer is plenty. But, be aware, it will take the ENTIRE freezer.

We have a number of ranchers out here. (If you don't you can hit a cattle auction.)

I'd advice talking with them and making sure your purchased cow is GMO free. Ask for references and talk to friends if you can. And make sure you have that extra, empty, freezer in advance so you're not on your way to the butcher realizing you have no where to put 600 pounds of meat.

My plan? Although I'd love to see it happen this fall, it's not looking like it will be possible. But the plan is:
Buy large freezer...ask local rancher that I know if I can purchase on of his cows and pay him to deliver it to the butcher. This takes my feelings/emotion out of the equation and places good GMO free meat in front of my children.

I already know how his cows are fed and cared for. So there's no issue there.

Then go and pick up the packaged meat in a few days.

On a side note, if you purchase the cow and have it butchered, expect to spend $1000-$1500. However, if you break it down...it's cheaper (and healthier) than purchasing from the store all year.

3 comments:

  1. We get our meat from a local farmer. They are primarily grass fed, although in years when the grass is not as plentiful I think they do supplement but don't know with what. I don't have a lot of choices from local, farm raised meats since I live in the burbs of Atlanta. I like to support local when I can rather than huge organic farms that may not actually pasture their cows. I am with you though...if I had to raise them to butcher myself I would be a vegetarian...they would all have names and probably live in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. This is definitely a tough learning experience for me. I know where the meat I buy in the store comes from and I know this would be better for my kids. But I just can't convince my brain and my heart to be in the same place.

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading your post. I too am in the same thought process- I would not be able to slaughter my own but I know what is best. Tami Lewis

    ReplyDelete

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *