Friday, March 07, 2014

#Homesteading #Livestock and #Gardens - #Grocery #Budget


The plan for this move was to stop the homesteading idea.

You see, for those newer to the blog, the move to this area a year and a half ago was to start being more self sufficient. The kids are growing and, with that, so is my food bill - to astronomical proportions. I thought if we could live more off the land, we'd save money.

Example - if I make a roast with veggies in the crock pot, I have to have at least two roasts with veggies and fill two crock pots. If I want left overs, I need to do three roasts and veggies in three crock pots. Last Thanksgiving, was two almost 30 pound turkeys and they were all but 1/4 of one gone. That is with sides, deserts, etc.

However, the initial location I selected (mind, I didn't come out to view it, I took the pictures and listed description as what it would be) was not the best idea. While there were acres of land, the house had issues as did the land it was on. The soil was awful, and even worse was the rockiness of the land itself. There wasn't a whole lot to do with it.

In this move, I went to a larger home with less land. I figured the dogs would be enough to have on property.

Over the months I've been moving in, I've thought of this and I've thought of that. A couple weeks ago I was looking at my grocery bill again and wanting to cry. Living in a small area, the prices are always marked up. I pay double or triple what friends do for the same product because they don't live in the mountains and they're in higher populated areas.

While my yard is small, and with the dog areas even smaller - where there's a will, there's a way.

The idea of where I could put poultry pens came to me and wouldn't get out of my brain. While I dislike the concept of killing an animal for food (I was a vegetarian for a large number of years), I know there's no way around it. Buying it from the grocer isn't sparing any lives. What it is doing, is putting some rather harmful products into what should be just healthy meat, fruit, and vegetables.

So, I went back to my initial plan with a lot less land. Also with a lot less rocks.

It'll be a tight fit, but it'l work. The goats won't be back and I'll never own pigs or cows (which you can get at most auctions at a decent price and get your butcher to handle it. The cost is still 1/2 price or less than what you pay in the grocery store).

There will be a garden area, maybe eventually two. An area for butchering poultry. The dog areas. Around the fencing I will be planting fruit trees and berry bushes so they act like a privacy area as well as provide some great treats. There will also be several areas made for the poultry to live in. I'm back to considering ducks, turkeys, chickens and geese.

And needing to buy numerous freezers and perhaps a small shed or barn with electric in it to store them in.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *