Tuesday, December 31, 2013

#Homeschool Step- By Step #1

Now I know I won't manage to hit on absolutely everything, but since a friend of mine is just beginning her homeschool journey, I'm going to give it a try and share as much information (and trial and error) as I can right here on the blog.

First: Know your state rules and laws. Also be sure to clarify if it's based on days or hours of study as a main. As a homeschooling parent, you must be well-informed and well-researched. There are some that pick (especially in some states) at homeschooling parents. You don't want to miss any information that you need to know.

For Arizona, there are two acceptable schedules: 5 day and 4 day school weeks (believe it or not, we even have some public schools using the 4 day school week).

In Arizona, they recommend 180 days for a 5 day schedule and 144 for a 4 day schedule. However, the ultimate "stick to" is the hours of study. 

In my state, the break downs are as follows (for hours needed per school year)
Grade K - 360
Grades 1-3 - 712
Grades 4-6 - 890
Grades 7-8 - 1068
Grades 9-12 - 720

So make sure you check with your state...be sure you're getting your hours in and accurately documenting them. (I'll be sharing some of the ways I'll be documenting in later posts.) Some states require more documentation than others. Even if your state (like AZ) doesn't require a ton of paperwork, it's always in your best interest to do it. Have that complete record on the off chance that you'll one day need it.

Are you new to homeschooling? Start planning early. It's better to grab things you may not need than to get in the pattern of your homeschooling schedule and find that you don't have it.

By the way, you'll be able to find all the step by step posts for this series by clicking on the label "Homeschool Step By Step" 

Finally, is there a topic or concern you'd like to see addressed here? Please let me know. If I don't have the answer, I'll contact others and research until I find it.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad in KS we don't have a set number of hours just a suggested number of days.


    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete

Contact Us

Name

Email *

Message *